Ok so autumn in America is the fall but whatever you call it, visiting Newport in New England autumn is a good time to visit.
Newport is home to the America’s Cup and a harbour full of fancy yachts. It was the vacation destination for the gilded age rich and famous and became a vacation destination on The Grey Traveller’s recent New England road trip. Here are my reasons to return in the fall.
- The drive on the 138 entering Newport via the Jamestown bridge gives fantastic views.
- Bowen’s Wharf with restaurants and independent stores; I liked 22 Bowen’s for their friendly staff, sit up bar and their recommendation of Barr Hill Gin and Prospect Cider
- The trail along Cliff Walk to gawk at the Mansions, I chose Breakers and Rough Point to visit.
- Drive along Ocean Avenue which tips the Newport Neck and if you are not all Mansioned up you will get to see some more grand houses with the breathtaking views.
- The main vacation season is over, everything is still open and no crowds.