Of course I knew Sri Lanka grew tea and had done so for many years, I’m not a tea drinker but I did enjoy a cup of black tea high in the hills near James Taylor’s Seat after visiting the Loolecondera Tea Estate.
- The locals take tea with milk during the day and drink it black in the evening.
- Sri Lanka also grows and exports cinnamon so put the two together and you have cinnamon tea.
- The tea industry is labour intensive and the factory we visited employs over 900 people.
- Depending where the tea is grown i.e lower, mid or higher slopes provides a different strength of finished drink.
- April and May are the most productive months in the tea industry.